You thought November was all turkeys and parades, but I’m telling you now, November is Sci-Fi Month! So…
As some of you know, I like science fiction. (Maybe my twitter name gave it away?) Anyway, I’m not a scientist, nor did I grow up with geeks. In fact, I grew up in an artsy-fartsy family full of musicians, photographers and—drama! While I spent plenty of hours watching the Robinson family while they were Lost in Space, I spent many more hours dancing around the house to Johann Strauss’ Blue Danube waltz or singing along with songs composed by the likes of Rogers and Hammerstein
Why, then, do all my fictitious ramblings involve aliens?
My first picture, Floridius Bloom and the Planet of Gloom, takes place on another planet (The planet of Gloom, Obviously… although it’s really a lovely little planet populated with starshines and wigglyfluffs). My first novel, WHEELS, involves H.G. Wells and, well, another planet. And, while the novel I’m currently writing takes place on Earth… it’s not exactly this Earth, but rather Urth and, well…it’s complicated.
The truth is, I like both science fiction and fantasy, though science fiction that is not too hardcore and fantasy that is not too full of fairies—especially fairy princesses.
I believe my obsession with aliens started with C.S. Lewis and Narnia; which, though fantasy, led me to read his Perelandra series—definitely science fiction. Next, came the Hobbit. I know, I know…once again it’s fantasy; but, while I was making my way through Middle Earth, my father and brothers were watching the original Star Trek series on TV. The men in my family may have moved on from Star Trek, while I’ve managed to become a fan of every Star Trek incarnation since.
In the meantime, if you love Science Fiction and want more ways to celebrate, check out the following list of bloggers participating in Sci-fi Month:
- Rinn @ Paper and Pixels
- Atmika @ Stalking Books
- Emma @ Never Judge A Book By It’s Cover
- Annie @ Books – A Novel Idea
- Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy
- Sarah @ Exploring All Genres
- Andrea @ Little Red Reviewer
- Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk
- Nara @ Looking for the Panacea
- Sana @ Artsy Musings of a Bibliophile
- Mary @ The Holy Tangent
- Ara @ My Book and My Coffee
- KJ @ Worlds in Ink
- Jayd @ Books, Food & Other Things
- Stephan @ stephanloy.com
- Amy @ Ode to Jo and Katniss
- Mark @ Walker of Worlds
- Aloi @ Guiltless Reading
- Kristen @ Fantasy Book Cafe
- William @ Roads Go Ever, Ever On
- Grey Wolf @ Alternate History Fiction
- Dan @ Terra Cognition
- Jorie @ Jorie Loves a Story
- Shannon @ Novel Reflection
- Renay @ Lady Business
- Megan @ Adrift on Vulcan
- Maria @ Maria’s Mélange
- Darlene @ Sci-fi Fantasy Readers
- Stormy @ Book. Blog. Bake.
- Samantha @ Celestial Carousel
- Noel @ Blue Fox Fables
- Celine @ Nyx Book Reviews
- Lorijo @ LJMetz.com